Sunday 15 February 2009

My very special quilt in the making

I am a huge fan of Bronwyn Hayes stitcheries and she has many
quilt books on the market.
Here is a new one I am working on for quite a while now
but am makingit all in one color purple and also am changing
the layout of the quilt as I have some fabulous fabric that
I had bought in Kasane in Botswana but it originally
comes from Zambiaand is woven and printed locally.
The locals call them "Chitenge"
and it has all types of uses, like making a carrybag and also a shawl and
of course it is wrapped around their hips so that it shows the ladies are
not available because they are already taken for.











Just one piece of advice for all stitchery lovers please
dont do what I have done and that is start stitching
before you have zigzagged round the square, it looks
all frayed and hate it. Will be doing the rest properly.

6 comments:

Vicki ♥ said...

They still look great Sue :) I love the colour purple.

Debs said...

Sue they look lovely. I am getting things together to do stitching like yours and I will make sure I stitch around the edge before starting the stitched picture. Thanks for that tip.

Susan said...

Tozz it is a lovely color.

Debs I am glad to be able to share a tip.

Terry said...

What lovely purple blocks! I always just leave extra fabric and then trim them cleanly when I'm done stitching.

Anonymous said...

coOh Susan I love these quilt blocks. Where did you say you got the pattern? I would love a copy of the pattern to make for myself. Thanks for sharing your beautiful stiching. I haven't heard from you in a while. How are you? Write soon. Pamela in Florida

Carole said...

Lovely! I haven't started my PDG yet! So many projects so little time! You might want to cut your blocks bigger and resize after you have finished hand embroidering!

Thaankful!

Found a very nice fish añd chips shop nearby us.  Its my Birthday month and I started a new small cross stitch patte...