Sunday 12 May 2013

Crazy Quilt part 2

Hi all

Now onto part 2,


This is such fun and hoping that you all have fun with me while I get to write all the fun that I have had with this crazy quilting journey of mine. But being asked what got me really started, I really dont know why but was just driven to start a crazy quilt. Looking back now maybe it was just the Angels letting me do this to help me to get over all the life changing happenings that happened since then.

As said I have been collecting all the lovely goodies needed for the Quilt and now to start.
Well I had a great convenor Diana Bezuidenhout and she helped me start with:

Had to first of all get backing fabric because the fancy fabrics are always aweful to work on and also different types. Wash backing fabric. Then cutting the blocks the size needed and also marking the borders where the stitching together of the blocks will be. Which was 50x50cm and 5cm more just because.
You all are wondering why I would put these instructions in. I am known not to follow rules and so Diana drilled it into me to just take her advice and be done. I did do exactly as she instructed
and now see why because my blocks are just right and ready when I need to sew them all together.

Next was getting to use the wonderful rich fabrics that I bought, and now needed to cut it up.
hehehehehe that was more difficult than I thought. How does one get to have a piece of each fabric into a block. Suggestions was cut into 25 pieces and then you will have something in every block, not good. Put the backing blocks in a line done the passage and then you wont have any problems ha well I did as the darling cats forever decided the settings dont suit them and sure they had lots of fun. This was difficult to get over with all the small pieces of wonderful fabrics cut up in such small pieces. Note to every one reading this, dont make the fabric pieces too small when you are making 50x50cm blocks. I had endless problems getting them fitted as I am not one to waste fabric. Well I then just put the fabrics together like jigsaw puzzle and that took me a whole year to complete. Must say that I was satisfied with the way it turned out, but can assure you that many times I wanted to just dump the whole lot. So patience is the word.
I finished the blocks on the 31December 2011 and was ready to start the embroidery in January 2012 and am still embroidering my way through and having such fun while learning lots of new techniques and stitches all the way. http://susanm-susanm.blogspot.com/2011/12/whats-happening.html here is the proof of the completion of my basic crazy quilt blocks. well that was a huge relief getting that far.
So will continue blogging about this journey as I go along.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great to catch up on a blog again instead of very seldom on Fb - which I seldom visit.
I miss the floral avatar - you should use it in a quilt or something!

Thaankful!

Found a very nice fish añd chips shop nearby us.  Its my Birthday month and I started a new small cross stitch patte...